Queens, NY – Resorts World New York City (RWNYC) marked its 11th anniversary as the only casino in NYC with a cocktail reception attended by elected officials and community leaders from across New York on Friday, October 28.
“We couldn’t think of a better group than this to help us celebrate 11 years in Queens,” said Robert DeSalvio, President, Genting Americas East. “Without these partners, we wouldn’t have been able to deliver on the many promises we made to New York over a decade ago when we first broke ground on the casino. Our accomplishments are their accomplishments, and we look forward to having them by our side as we continue to look for ways to improve the lives of residents in Queens and throughout New York City for decades to come.”
During the celebration, Resorts World announced a major milestone: it’s now generated more than $3.6 billion to support New York’s public schools. That’s enough revenue to fund more than 10 million laptop computers for students and pay a year’s salary for 12,000 public school teachers.
Its other accomplishments from the last 11 years include:
- Opening the Hyatt Regency JFK Airport at Resorts World New York City, a $400 million 4-star hotel enjoyed by New Yorkers and visitors from around the globe
- Creating a strong and diverse union workforce of hundreds of New Yorkers, a majority of which are people of color and nearly half are women
- Hiring locally and providing families in Queens with access to safe and quality jobs in their neighborhood
- Launching the “Good Neighbor Network,” an initiative designed to inspire, empower, and advocate for social and economic good in Queens and throughout New York State
- Beginning Resorts World Gives, a corporate philanthropic program that allows RWNYC to invest in the economic and social progress of communities surrounding the property. It’s donated more than $3 million to more than 200 local organizations that are creating opportunities for economic and social progress in Queens, including:
- Boys & Girls Club of Metro Queens
- City Harvest
- City Meals on Wheels
- Greater Jamaica Development Corporation
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning
- Jamaica Hospital
- Jamaica YMCA
- Queens Chamber of Commerce
- Queens Economic Development Corporation
- River Fund
- Rockaway Development Revitalization Corporation
- York College
- Creating the Red Wall Art Gallery a year after opening to showcase work by aspiring and local artists, photographers and textile makers, in conjunction with community arts organizations
- Supporting local organizations with youth programming, health initiatives, and scholarships
- Hosting blood drives, digital mammogram care clinics, job fairs, entrepreneur competitions, early voting and more
Those in attendance at Friday’s event included New York State Senator Joseph P. Addabbo Jr., Senator Roxanne Persaud, Assemblymember Brian Cunningham, Assemblymember Stacey Pheffer Amato, Assemblymember Alicia Hyndman, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, and Council Member Nantasha Williams.
Additional photos and video from the event can be found here.
About Resorts World New York City (RWNYC)
New York City’s first and only casino-hotel, offering over 10 million guests annually an unparalleled gaming and entertainment experience and generating over $3 billion for the State’s education system since opening in 2011. The opening of the Hyatt Regency JFK Airport at Resorts World New York gave visitors from around the world more ways to enjoy the ultimate play and stay experience. Dining options include Sugar Factory American Brasserie, America’s favorite eatery and celebrity hotspot. There are a variety of non-gaming amenities, as well as entertainment options, allowing guests of all interests and budgets an experience that fits their personal tastes. RWNYC is operated by the Genting Group, a global company founded in 1965, operating destination resorts in Las Vegas, Bimini, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, and the United Kingdom. Genting has more than 50 years of experience in the travel and leisure industry and collectively employs approximately 60,000 people while offering an unparalleled resort experience to over 50 million visitors a year worldwide.